Saturday, September 24, 2011

Key West! Saturday



The sad part about this trip to Key West was that it was during "low season". This meant more heat (which we could deal with) and that many of the restaurants we wanted to visit for breakfast were closed (Sarabeth's, Blue Heaven). Thank GOD we had bikes and could ride around. Had we been walking, I would have died.....We had a hard time finding a place to eat on Saturday for lunch but finally found a French cafe on Duvall street that was open and had a table. The nice thing was that we were seated in a shady place in the back right next to a waterfall.

After brunch, we headed to the Audubon House. I had free tickets thanks to Smithsonian Magazine. I think Allan and I both enjoyed walking around the house and seeing the beautiful prints.



We then headed out for our informal "pub crawl" of Key West. We started at the Green Parrot Bar, where Allan had a beer and I was sneered at for ordering water. I went next door and bought my Dad an overpriced tee shirt for the next time I see him (since my birthday present for him this year was "bad" - a story for another day).


After The Green Parrot we went to Sloppy Joe's bar. Sloppy Joe's is famous as a Hemingway hangout. Allan ordered another beer and some conch fritters. I ordered another water and sat for about 20 minutes before I turned into a pumpkin and had to go back to the hotel for a nap.

The activity for that night was sunset cruise on a catamaran. It was a short walk there (less than 15 minutes) but was soooo hot that I almost bailed. I decided that I could make it when I saw there were shade options on the cruise. After we got underway and I had some food, things cooled down and it was a beautiful night.


There were even dolphins!

No comments: